Frog Jumping Day can be traced back to the first short story written by Mark Twain, Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog. If you’d like to read this story today, it’s also known as The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County as well as The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.
Hannibal, MO is best known as the boyhood home of author Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens) and as the setting of his The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. When I was a kid, we went on a family trip to MO and believe it or not brought home a turtle we named Hannibal – well, let me clarify, the turtle only made it as far as Grandma’s house where he staged his great escape never to be seen again. There was much blaming over whose fault that was – as you can imagine!
You can celebrate today by:
- learn about frogs
- read the above mentioned short stories
- play leapfrog or even the classic Frogger
- get a pet frog (When I was teaching I sent in for some mail-order tadpoles that live in water like fish. It was fun for the kids to get to feed them and watch them change and grow!)
- volunteer for Frogwatch USA
- send a Frog Jumping Day ecard
- jump like a frog
- the possibilities are virtually endless
Please let us know how you chose to celebrate today in the comments. We would LOVE to hear from you!