International Polar Bear Day is a day to take the thermostat challenge. Adjusting your thermostat to heat/cool as little as 2 degrees less can have a significant impact on the environment. To learn more about the challenge or Polar Bears International visit their website.
Of course there are lots of other fun ways to celebrate polar bears.
- Go ice fishing.
- Try an experiment to learn how polar bears keep warm.
- Fill a bowl with ice water.
- Try to put your hand in it for 30 seconds.
- Now cover your hand with a generous amount of shortening. You can wear a plastic glove or make a fist and cover your hand with cling wrap.
- Now that it is covered, put it back in the water for 30 seconds.
What did you notice?
- Check out the Polar Bear Tracker to see what the polar bears are up to on the ice of Hudson Bay in Canada.
Have fun celebrating!