National Hot Cocoa Day falls on December 13th, but there are excellent reasons to celebrate with hot cocoa throughout the year! Check out these reasons to drink homemade hot cocoa.
Top 10 Reasons to Drink Homemade Hot Cocoa
- Rich in Antioxidants – Cocoa is twice as strong in antioxidants as red wine, 2-3 times as strong as green tea, 4-5 times as strong as black tea. Heating up the chocolate helps release more antioxidants.
- Reduces Stress – Chocolate has been found by researchers to have the ability to reduce cortisol levels in a person as well as “fight or flight” hormones in highly stressed people.
- Improves Blood Flow – Cocoa has been found to reduce the chance of blood clots and lowers blood pressure.
- Improves Thinking – Increased blood flow means your brain benefits! More blood to the brain means better brain functioning.
- Less Fat than Hot Chocolate – Hot Chocolate is made with melted chocolate in a liquid whereas hot cocoa is made with cocoa powder melted in hot water or milk.
- Homemade Hot Cocoa Has Fewer Ingredients – Making your own hot cocoa at home means fewer preservatives and ingredients our bodies don’t need. See recipe below for making it at home.
- Uplifting – Hot cocoa makes us happy. It triggers the release of endorphins which make us feel pleasure.
- High in Vitamins and Minerals – Dark cocoa is rich in potassium, copper, magnesium and iron.
- Aphrodisiac – Chocolate has been rumored to be an aphrodisiac for centuries.
- Protects Skin – Hot cocoa contains flavaniods which are helpful for increasing skins hydration and complexion.
- ⅓ cup baking cocoa
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- toppings such as whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate sauce, graham cracker crumbs
- Combine the cocoa, sugar and 1 cup of milk in a medium saucepan.
- Stir until combined over low heat.
- Add remaining milk and increase the heat to medium.
- Stir occasionally until steaming.
- Add vanilla
- Serve with desired toppings
Bare Food Angel. (2017, January 17). 11 Surprising Health Benefits of Hot Chocolate. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://barefoodangel.com/beauty-from-inside-out/11-surprising-health-benefits-of-hot-chocolate/
Marshfield Clinic. (2017, March 16). 5 reasons hot cocoa is good for you | Shine365 from Marshfield Clinic. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://shine365.marshfieldclinic.org/wellness/5-reasons-hot-cocoa-is-good-for-you/