From the reading I did on toddies, there is a wide range of variations that fall under the toddy classification. Dictionary.com lists a toddy as ‘
Wikipedia indicates that in the Midwestern United States it is common to use Vernor’s Ginger Ale, lemon, honey and bourbon. It says that in Wisconsin it is common to use brandy. Some believe the drink to help with symptoms of the cold or flu.
After some experimenting, we arrived on a recipe that gets two thumbs up. It uses one of my favorite teas too!
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 chai tea bag (I used Coconut Chai Black Tea from zhena's gypsy tea)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- juice of one half lemon
- 1 shot whiskey (I used bird dog peach flavored whiskey)
- 1 lemon slice
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- Heat 1 cup apple cider
- Brew tea as suggested on the package
- Add honey, lemon juice, whiskey, lemon slice and a cinnamon stick