To celebrate National Crab Meat Day, March 9th, I bring you the California Un-Roll. While not made with real crab meat here, we’re going to go ahead and celebrate with this tasty dish anyway, because that’s how we (un)roll. I understand that the California Roll was pretty instrumental in making sushi rolls a big deal. I know it was my first foray into the cuisine! My family really enjoys California Rolls, so when I came across this idea – I jumped on it! It seemed soooo much easier to put together than trying to make the rolls for a family of 7! It has all the flavors of the beloved roll, but all mixed up.
We were out of soy sauce (somehow we have 5 bottles of Worcestershire however!). I substituted Kecap Manis, which is a thicker sweeter sauce, as our dressing. Next time I want to try it with soy sauce and perhaps a touch of wasabi. I might flake some nori in it as well.
- 2 cups white rice, I used Basmatti
- 2 avocados, cubed
- ½ lb imitation crab meat, finger shredded
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pickled sushi ginger
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- Soy Sauce or Kecap Manis to taste
- Cook rice according to package directions. Allow to cool slightly.
- Toss with remaining ingredients.
- Top with additional soy or kecap manis and additional black sesame.
[…] See full post at Everyday Celebrations […]