My family asked me what I wanted for Mother’s Day this year, and this was my response. (Well, this and Belgian waffles, of course!)
I am told my family used nearly 40 limes in the making of this glorious meal. It was so fresh and delicious that it may just be our Father’s Day meal as well.
Corn and Black Bean Salad
Recipe type: Side
Serves: 6-8 servings
The flavors of summer come together in a refreshing salad perfect for scooping up with chips or topping your favorite grilled chicken.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans of sweet corn (about 2 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- Zest and 6 tablespoons juice from 5 to 6 limes
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, and some for garnish
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced or diced and mixed in just before serving.
- Combine ingredients and refrigerate overnight if possible.
- Serve with chips and/or atop chicken with avocado slices or dices.
Leave a Reply